Historic site and monument

Eglise Saint-Martial

The church of Villars dedicated to St. Martial was originally a Romanesque style church. A little cupola under the bell tower rebuilt in the 19th century on a basis of 12th century blind arcades remains. A visible oculus suggests that the church had the specificity of having a double narthex. The bell of Villars, the biggest in the area, is known for the clearness of its tone. There used to be three bells before the French Revolution. In 1793, two of them were removed and cast for war needs. Nowadays, the church got its three bells back due to the recent restoration of the belfry. They can be heard in the morning and the evening for the Angelus.

Equipments & Services

  • Site and monuments theme
    • , Church
  • Small Rural Heritage
    • , no
  • Prehistoric site
    • , no
  • Artisan Art
    • , no

Access map

GPS : 45.4196603, 0.75410842

Le bourg
24530 VILLARS

    Print